The Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection at the University of Virginia, comprising over 1,700 paintings, sculptures, and artifacts from Aboriginal Australia, is undertaking a significant new conservation effort. Given that many of the items in the collection were acquired by Ed Ruhe in the 1960’s from communities in the Top End and are made of extremely fragile, organic materials, this is good news indeed. The video below gives some fascinating insights into the new program. But best of all, along the way, it provides the viewer with an extensive look at the variety of materials held by the Kluge-Ruhe. Apart from the publication Art from the Land, which curator Margo Smith edited with Howard Morphy back in 2000, this little video may be the best place to gain a quick appreciation of the wonders housed in the tiny hilltop museum in Virginia.
Search the Blog
- In Memoriam aboriginalartandculture.wordpress.com/2015/12/26/in-… 1 year ago
- Streets of Papunya aboriginalartandculture.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/str… https://t.co/207bFFxyON 1 year ago
- Margo Smith, AM aboriginalartandculture.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/mar… http://t.co/ATYXJhmSx0 2 years ago
- Lives of the Artist: Patrick Tjungurrayi by John Carty wp.me/puGYZ-1Eb 2 years ago
- Will Stubbs wins ACA Award wp.me/puGYZ-1E9 2 years ago
- The Namatjira Legend Lives On wp.me/puGYZ-1DT 2 years ago
- Desert Mob is Alive and Doing Rather Well wp.me/puGYZ-1Dv 3 years ago
Like a frog in a pot… on Gurindji History, Japanese… John on Papunya Tula: Yawulyurru Kapal… farmaciakadY on Notes on the Senate Inquiry:… “Doing Somethi… on Invasion Day Rachel Cummins on Revisiting Palm Island
- Adrian Hyland AGNSW Alexis Wright Alice Springs Alison Anderson Andrew McMillan Arnhem Land Arrernte Auctions Aurukun Austrade Tour Balgo Bangarra Bidyadanga Brian Kennedy Brook Andrew Buku-Larrnggay Mulka Canning Stock Route Crossing Cultures Dartmouth College Desert Mob Dreaming Their Way Elizabeth Povinelli Exhibition Catalogs Exhibitions Fiction Footy Frank Gillen Fred Myers Gapuwiyak GoMA Health Hetti Perkins Hood Museum of Art Howard Morphy Inga Clendinnen Intervention Iwantja Band Jennifer Biddle Jennifer Deger John Carty John Mawurndjul Kintore Kluge-Ruhe Laverty Maningrida Melissa Lucashenko Mornington Island Musée du quai Branly National Museum of Australia NATSIAA NGA NGV Nicolas Rothwell Palm Island Papunya Papunya boards Papunya Tula Photography Pintupi Ramingining Senate Inquiry Stephen Gilchrist Stolen Generations Tiwi Toledo Museum of Art Vivien Johnson Warakurna Warlpiri Warmun Warumpi Band Warwick Thornton Yirrkala Yolngu Yuendumu
Find in an Australian Library
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.