Friends tell me that the reviews of Bran Nue Dae, the new feature film directed by Rachel Perkins and based on the 1989 stage play by Jimmy Chi have been less than ecstatic. The few that I’ve read have been good, although there’s a universal agreement that some of the acting is “sub-par.” Of course, one reviewer faults Geoffrey Rush as stiff or Jessica Mauboy as amateurish, while another exults in another Rushian triumph or the freshness that pop-star Mauboy brings to the screen. The one thing that everyone seems to agree on it that you have to see it for yourself. And those who have seen it agree that it’s the most delightful thing to have happened in Australian cinema in a long, long time. I certainly enjoyed Tom Zubrycki’s 1991 documentary about the original stage production, but those of us on foreign shores will probably have a long wait for an international release. So if you can’t see the film itself, rejoice in the trailer, which is available, of course, on YouTube. Even three minutes of this film is more fun than I’ve had in weeks.
Search the Blog
- In Memoriam aboriginalartandculture.wordpress.com/2015/12/26/in-… 1 year ago
- Streets of Papunya aboriginalartandculture.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/str… https://t.co/207bFFxyON 1 year ago
- Margo Smith, AM aboriginalartandculture.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/mar… http://t.co/ATYXJhmSx0 2 years ago
- Lives of the Artist: Patrick Tjungurrayi by John Carty wp.me/puGYZ-1Eb 2 years ago
- Will Stubbs wins ACA Award wp.me/puGYZ-1E9 2 years ago
- The Namatjira Legend Lives On wp.me/puGYZ-1DT 2 years ago
- Desert Mob is Alive and Doing Rather Well wp.me/puGYZ-1Dv 3 years ago
Like a frog in a pot… on Gurindji History, Japanese… John on Papunya Tula: Yawulyurru Kapal… farmaciakadY on Notes on the Senate Inquiry:… “Doing Somethi… on Invasion Day Rachel Cummins on Revisiting Palm Island
- Adrian Hyland AGNSW Alexis Wright Alice Springs Alison Anderson Andrew McMillan Arnhem Land Arrernte Auctions Aurukun Austrade Tour Balgo Bangarra Bidyadanga Brian Kennedy Brook Andrew Buku-Larrnggay Mulka Canning Stock Route Crossing Cultures Dartmouth College Desert Mob Dreaming Their Way Elizabeth Povinelli Exhibition Catalogs Exhibitions Fiction Footy Frank Gillen Fred Myers Gapuwiyak GoMA Health Hetti Perkins Hood Museum of Art Howard Morphy Inga Clendinnen Intervention Iwantja Band Jennifer Biddle Jennifer Deger John Carty John Mawurndjul Kintore Kluge-Ruhe Laverty Maningrida Melissa Lucashenko Mornington Island Musée du quai Branly National Museum of Australia NATSIAA NGA NGV Nicolas Rothwell Palm Island Papunya Papunya boards Papunya Tula Photography Pintupi Ramingining Senate Inquiry Stephen Gilchrist Stolen Generations Tiwi Toledo Museum of Art Vivien Johnson Warakurna Warlpiri Warmun Warumpi Band Warwick Thornton Yirrkala Yolngu Yuendumu
Find in an Australian Library
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.